[NCLUG] Re: Verisign are morons...

DJ Eshelman dj at sgc-inc.net
Thu Aug 8 12:35:49 MDT 2002

Verisign's trechery goes deeper than simple things like that.

I let several of my
domains lapse because I was unhappy with the way they run things.

I can see a few hours,
perhaps even a day or two to release the records so I can use a different service (I ended up
using godaddy... ho hum) for domain registration.
5 days past, and I began to get
frustrated.  I emailed them and got no response.
14 days had past, and I was furious.  I still
could not register my domains elsewhere and was losing email left and right, not to mention
the fact that all of my web services were down.  It was at this point where I lost the potential
customer I was trying for- hey, wouldn't you back down if a 'host' didn't even have a
website???
I did everything I could and finally got a reply back, about 21 days into it that
said it was their policy (Verisign, not nessisarily NetSol) to hold domains for 45 DAYS after
a lapse.

53 days later, I could finally re-register my domains elsewhere.  Verisign is
simply evil, however, and even after I registered elsewhere I began recieving mysterious
warnings about my 'account' lapsing and of course offers to buy the domains BACK FROM THEM at a
higher rate than I had originally registered with NetSol before Verisign bought them.  In
other words, they were trying to sell me something they never really owned, at least by
anything I ever remember signing.

But that's not all.  Verisign has a 'service' to
certify certain websites' security, mostly for companies with large amounts of
confidential data, etc.
So we've spent ungodly amounts for this 'service', CheckPoint
firewall, all the goodies like that.  I'm not even sure of the amounts, but I'm pretty sure that
my company gives more to Verisign every year than they give to me in salary.  And what do we get
from them recently when we wanted to stabilize our firewall?
"Oh, we don't support Linux.
Goodbye."

arrrgh!!!  Remember when everything was right with the world?

(oh, is
this a better rant?  I growled!  grrr!  arrrgh!  aaaaahh!  Can you sense the Angst?)

gotta run-
we're going to try the firewall without the bastards.

-DJ

(PS- does anyone know if
there is a spell checker for Squirrelmail?)