[NCLUG] ISP suggestions

Sean Reifschneider jafo-nclug at tummy.com
Sat Aug 10 17:02:54 MDT 2002

On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 12:26:24AM -0600, Michael Dwyer wrote:
>You might also be able to simulate a butt set by setting ATL3M3 (or
>whatever it is to leave the modem speaker on ALWAYS).  The noise will
>drive you short of insane, but it is the only way I know of to detect
>when a modem is retying...

Supra used to have this modem, the SupraFax 28.8k.  The thing I liked the
most about it was that in addition to the 4 LEDs for OH, CD, RD, SD (or
something like that), it also had this big bit-mapped display that it would
display a status in.

That display would rotate through a number of things telling you the
transmit and receive rates, and most importantly would go to "RT" when it
was re-training.  Incredibly important for telling what was going on,
particularly when the session would hang -- is the the remote machine,
local machine, remote network connection, oh, wait, it's my modem
retraining...

 Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life.
                 -- Eric Hoffer