[NCLUG] Re: Verisign are morons...

Sean Reifschneider jafo-nclug at tummy.com
Sat Aug 10 17:23:18 MDT 2002

On Thu, Aug 08, 2002 at 02:35:49PM -0400, DJ Eshelman wrote:
>Verisign's trechery goes deeper than simple things like that.

Perhaps...  As Paul mentioned, there's a good reason for the "registry
hold".  How long is too long?

Years ago, we registered a domain for Evelyn's sister.  We checked her
(married) last name.com and found that it was available, and registered it.
It was nearly a full year later that we got a call from (apparently) the
people who had it before saying "You took our domain name!"

The recommendation we give our customers who are registering domains
through us is that unless you have a solid two weeks to try to do a
transfer to us, plan on paying for NSI for another year.  *NEVER* try to
let NSI expire it and then re-register it (for reasons that are obvious to
you now ;-).  The transfers to other registrars works great, as long as you
have enough time.  If it's in the last week the domain is available, expect
NSI to not cooperate.

 Canadian phone sex: What colour touque are you wearing?