[NCLUG] Re: [Python-Dev] Judy for replacing internal dictionaries?

Doug Lea dl at cs.oswego.edu
Sun Aug 11 16:20:34 MDT 2002

> I am about to write a universal time/test program for malloc

I'm pretty sure there's no universal test. There are better and worse
choices of test suites though. Different malloc-intensive programs
tend to have very different behaviors, and my released versions try to
make sure that they all run well. (For some graphs of different kinds
of programs, see http://gee.cs.oswego.edu/dl/malloc-plots/index.html)
When I find cases that don't, I try to improve algorithms.

People regularly write papers comparing mallocs.  The most recent I
know of is Emery Berger's "REAP" paper, that you can find at:
  http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/emery/
(Note: These results will lead to inclusion of some region support
in a forthcoming version of my malloc.) See also his references.

Still, I'd very much like to get a copy of your new test program!

And if anyone knows of some malloc-bound python programs out there
that are amenable for use in a test suite, I'd be very interested in
getting them.

-Doug