[NCLUG] Data Through Cellular Technology?

Marcio Luis Teixeira marciot at holly.colostate.edu
Sun Aug 11 13:49:43 MDT 2002

Where can I find some information decent information about wireless cellular
technology? AT&T's page (http://attws.com/) is overhyped and doesn't contain
useful information. I was able to glean some good information about the
various technologies from "wikipedia.com," but I'm not sure how it all
relates to AT&Ts royal mess of tradenames.

Many years back I recall you could buy little PCMCIA cards that could
send/receive e-mail messages on a HP100LX palmtop. I believe this was based
on CPDP technology. Does this sort of service still exist?

On a similar note, suppose I have an existing cellular phone (an AT&T prepaid
plan). This already has built-in text messaging, but is a pain to use on the
cell phone. Is there anyway I could pop a cellular PCMCIA card into a
computer and have it send/receive text messages via my existing pre-paid
plan?

Any ideas or links to sites containing information would be appreciated.

Marcio Luis Teixeira