[NCLUG] Mesa Networks (broadband)

John L. Bass jbass at dmsd.com
Thu Aug 15 13:10:05 MDT 2002

	What do you know about the price of the
	equipment it takes to get started?  Last I checked, the equipment +
	initiation was more than $700, which is well beyond my means at the moment.

	--Rich

Depends how carefully you ae willing to shop the used market (ebay) and
how much of the install you are able to do yourself. We have had people
get on the service for as little as $400. Of course, you can pay a lot
more if you want.

We don't subsidize anyone ... there are enough stories about other providers
borrowing sums of money greater than the GNP of small countries just to go
dark when they default on the loans because they are a loss leader. We are
in the black, have been since month 3, and have savings account assets to
remain in service for a couple years without revenue (the case where a more
competitive service somes into town and the coop dwindles slowly down to
a couple members).

John