[NCLUG] Setting up ad-hoc wireless?

Michael Milligan milli at acmeps.com
Fri Aug 23 21:46:28 MDT 2002

Marcio Luis Teixeira wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I recently purchased another Lucent WaveLAN 801.11b card* and I want to set up
> wireless networking in my home. The idea is that one card goes in my laptop,
> the other goes in my firewall to act as an "access point." My question, is
> there are good how-to's that address the specific topic of setting up
> wireless networks in ad-hoc mode?

All you have to do is put both cards into Ad-Hoc mode and fix the
channel/freq they talk on.  I.e.,

$ iwconfig mode ad-hoc channel 1 essid WarDriveMe

FYI, if you had purchased a Prism2-based card (e.g., OfficeMax here in FC
sells Dlink 520 PCI cards for $50), there is a host-mode access point driver
you can run to turn that card into, suprise, an Access Point.  I've been
using it for a while now with an Intel 2011B PCI card with various visitors
with various cards and it works great.  No messing around with ad-hoc mode.

http://hostap.epitest.fi/

Regards,
Mike

Michael Milligan  --  Free Agent  --  milli at acmeps.com