[NCLUG] 100 Mbit cabling

Sean Reifschneider jafo-nclug at tummy.com
Wed Dec 18 14:59:37 MST 2002

On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 08:29:56AM +0000, dherr at frii.com wrote:
>For a 100 Mbit ethernet connection, are all 8 wires needed, or just
>the same 4 wires that are used for 10-BaseT?  This will determine

100baseT uses pins 1, 2, 3, and 6 in the RJ-45 connector, or two pairs.
I have had fine luck with running two 100mbps connections or one 100mbps
and two phone connections on a single 4-pair cat5 cable.  I pulled a
bunch of cable shortly after we moved into our house, and it's been
performing quite nicely.

 Canadian phone sex: What kind of hockey jersey are you wearing?
      Back off man. I'm a scientist.   http://HackingSociety.org/