[NCLUG] latest pricing for cwx equipment

John L. Bass jbass at dmsd.com
Fri Dec 20 13:40:29 MST 2002

From: Michael Dwyer <mdwyer at sixthdimension.com>
> That may be true.  But I am interested in knowing the answer, too.
>
> Can we lose the list-nazi stuff that's been going on and just appreciate
> that this list seems to be for the discussion of things that might be of
> interest to linux users in the NECO.CO.US area? --including broadband
> options?
>
> I suspect that a fair number of CWX users are also members of this list.
>   Indeed, I believe that the founder of CWX is a member of this list.
> Really, asking the question to the NCLUG list makes a whole lot more
> sense than asking it of the singular info@ address.

It's hard to decide when our cooperative is just a community service, or
another spammer when we participate in promoting the coop in other forums.

We have had a few people self install for as little as $350 including the
startup fee - mostly by getting exceptional bargins buying used off ebay
and locally. Normal is closer to $500-800 for most people, depending on
their technical skills. That is much better than when we had to almost
always buy new kitted systems two years ago.

We cut our rates substantially in Sept after reaching our operating reserve
goals, and having enough money in savings for capital expansion projects
this year. We just purchased 6 1U Dual 850 PII servers to implement
redundant soft failover router/feeds for FRII, Milner and Horsetooth sites
to provide some additional reliability for certian failures we have seen
in the last 4 years. We are bringing up Buckhorn Mtn as a new repeater
site to enhance Risk Canyon area coverage, and areas north of Fort Collins.

We are still looking for a low cost partner to co-locate a second upstream
feed for the rare cases where FRII bandwidth and power are disrupted. FRII
has turned out to be an excellent partner with solid stable high performance
bandwidth. There are several businesses in the area with stable fibre feeds
and reasonable RF access to the mountains that we continue to consider,
which have offered services and bandwidth at attractive rates.

CWX continues to grow at one/two members a month, and loses a member every
other month or so to new Cable/DSL availability. We currently have 53 members
active, and 15 ex-members that have left the area or moved to Cable/DSL
service over the last 4 years. Our rates have always been competitive with
a second phone line and dialup ISP service, after the initial sticker
shock of the install. With used gear available, that has been much less of
a problem.

A portion of the stock reply for info at cwx.net inquires is:

        $   75  Site survey (In Fort Collins or Loveland, $100 otherwise)
           400  Used Aironet PCI radio, antenna, mount, cable, lightning arrestor
           125  Installation labor
           125  CWX Startup fee
        ------  -------------------------------------------------
        $  725  Typical one time costs

        $50/mo for Standard 256kbps service (residential/home office)

New CISCO Air-PCI350 radio cards run a little over $210 plus shipping from
a number of online discount sources, or Collins Communications may be able
to provide them at normal retail prices as part of your install. The newer
Cisco radio's and cards are mostly diagnostic compatable with our older
Aironet 4800 series equipment. We still prefer members find used Aironet
4800 series radios when they available for better diagnostic support when
their connection is having problems problems. Due to the lack of diagnostic
support other vendors radios are not acceptable on the CWX network.

Used Aironet UC4800-E ethernet radios are about $200-400, and PCI4800 radios
are typically between $100-200 (plus shipping).  Ebay is often a good source
for both new and used equipment, and sometimes better bargins can be found.
I have sometimes have used radios and other equipment on hand to help new
members get started quickly. I try to keep a few PCI4800 radios available
for $155ea, and some UC4800/MC4800 ethernet radios available for $300.

Some users may be able to do their own physical install, especially those
with some electronic or HAM experience. Otherwise we suggest using Collins
Communications in Fort Collins - give Don a call at 493-6356 to schedule
your site survey, or email radiopros at aol.com

John Bass
Architecture Committee Chairman, Colorado Wireless Exchange Cooperative