[NCLUG] latest pricing for cwx equipment

Michael Dwyer mdwyer at sixthdimension.com
Mon Dec 23 14:56:22 MST 2002

 >Alan Silverstein wrote:
 >Michael, nice summary!  Thanks!  Now if only I knew what CWX was, or
 >the prices for each of those options, I'd be in GREAT shape.  :-)

Oh.  Well, okay...

These prices are monthly, and do not include setup charges. I have
ball-parked some of the startup fees, though -- especially
modem/equipment purchases:

  o DSL: I strongly suggest that you go through FRII for your DSL
service, though Qwest/MSN is often cheaper. FRII is often able to
facilitate the whole thing for you.  Prices vary depending on service
level, from $42/mo to $850/mo.  Modems are about $150.  DSL normally
depends on an existing phone line, and requires you to be within about
15,000ft of your phone switch (The tower at Mason and Maple? -- by the
Wells Fargo bank -- is the main switch, the other one is (I think) at
the corner of Harmony and College).
    - http://www.frii.com/services/dsl.html
    - http://www.qwest.com/dsl/
    - http://www.dslreports.com/

  o CWX: This is a wireless system that requires a rooftop antenna with
a clear view of one of the repeater sites.  Prices range from $50 to
$135/mo.  Startup is about $600 (see John Bass article).
    - http://www.cwx.net/

  o SprintPCS's 3G service on a laptop PCMCIA card is $99/mo at up to
155kb/s, though 50kb/s is more realistic.  Modem card is $250.  Service is
fair through Fort Collins.
    - http://www.sprintpcs.com/
-http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/PhonesAccessories/PhoneDetails.jsp?selectSkuId=merlinc201

  o Satellite: Starband is $70/mo.  Direcway (Hughes/DirecTV) is also
$70/mo. Starband might be bankrupt, and it sounds like the Echostar/Dish
offering got struck by the FCC...  Direcway is offered through
EarthLink, and can be rolled into a satellite TV deal with DirecTV.
Startup is near $600, but can be spread out over a year with EarthLink.
  You will require a clear view of the southern sky.  Be aware that the
two-way dishes are often significantly larger than the small ones you
may be used to seeing.  Still smaller than the old C-band ones, though.
    - http://www.direcway.com/
    - http://www.starband.com/
    -
https://register.earthlink.net/cgi-bin/wsisa.dll/broadband/satellite/satellite.html
    - http://www.internetnews.com/xSP/article.php/1379991

  o AT&T cable modem:  $43-56/mo depending on a number of factors.  Can
be bundled with a Digital Cable subscription, as well.  Available in a
number of neighborhoods in Fort Collins, but I couldn't tell you where...
    - http://www.attbi.com/

  o Dialup:  Don't even get me started...  Available pretty much
everywhere, though.
    - http://www.frii.com/
    - http://www.usol.com/

  o Ricochet? SprintBroadband? WiFi? Dunno...
    - http://www.sprintbroadband.com/
    - http://www.frii.com/services/ricochet.html
    - http://www.netstumbler.com/