[NCLUG] mail services

Michael Dwyer mdwyer at sixthdimension.com
Fri Feb 1 09:45:33 MST 2002

Daniel Miles wrote:
> apparently there is an e-mail server registration or something like that where most people's e-mail servers will only *accept* mail from another server on that list... That's my theory anyway but it happens when I use sendmail.

Some mail servers check your DNS record.  If you are not listed as an
MX, you aren't allowed to send mail.  Others test you against the MAPS
DUN list (I think) which denies you if you come from an IP range
identified as a dial-up user.

That's my guess at least.  Spammers have kind of ruined our garden of
Eden, haven't they?