[NCLUG] Oracle system help

Mark Fassler fassler at monkeysoft.net
Fri Feb 1 10:56:00 MST 2002

On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 10:31:46AM -0700, Steve Roths wrote:

> could not install the module with modprobe - error was 'invalid parameter
> io'

Well, this is your basic problem right here.  I'm not sure what might be
causing this...  Basically, what's happening is when the driver loads,
something is giving it the parameter of "io=0xNNN", but the driver
doesn't accept this as an argument.  This is sometimes necessary for ISA
cards (like setting io=0x3f8 for a serial port), but rarely (ever?) do PCI
cards need this parameter.

is there a line in your /etc/modules.conf like this?
  "options ne2k-pci io=0xNNN" or "options eth0 io=0xNNN"

if there is, it should NOT be there.  Try just "insmod ne2k-pci" (with
that card in the system, of course).  See if that gives you a different
message.

Another place to poke around might be
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 (again, this is assuming that
you're using Redhat).  This is the file that actually hold the config for
the ethernet card.  If you're using the GUI tools, this is the file that
they're supposed to handle for you.  I don't think this file has your
problem, but it's Stuff to Know.

--
Mark Fassler
fassler at monkeysoft.net