[NCLUG] Living without windows? LONG

kensharon.morris at att.net kensharon.morris at att.net
Tue Feb 19 10:18:52 MST 2002

Hello,
1. There is no Visual Basic for Linux yet that
I know of.
2. Only
because of #1 and my inability to get
Approach or Access running on VMware or
WINE...
did I Spend a hundred bucks and buy Win4Linux ....with NO
compatability issues as all windows applications run in a windows window in
linux.  No emulation.  Great Program, you'll have to modify
the kernel, which
is very well documented.  Check
to see that your kernel is supported before
buying
or trying it.   Of course you need a copy of win95
or win98 but most of us
have at least one copy.
3.  StarOffice and Wordperfect for Linux are
great
for getting off windows.  If someone sends a file you can't read, ask them
to resend it in a older
version like Office97 format.
4. Opera is the best for
a browser for either
windows or Linux as you can eliminate popup windows!  Or
Netscape as a second choice as you
might a couple of issues with webmail popup
address books.  Email filter feature you can dump all
emails with hotbox as
senders name to the trash or
if subject has mortgage in it dump it to
screened
mail folder...etc.

If you need to share documents which don't
need to
be changed....get a copy of Adobe 4.0 or so.
Send the files as PDF's
and wean people off of
Word.  When you print, you save the file as a
pdf file
instead of sending to the printer.

Those are my suggestions...
Ken