[NCLUG] mmmmmmm...spam control

Gabriel L Somlo somlo at CS.ColoState.EDU
Tue Feb 19 12:08:16 MST 2002

I think I wouldn't mind if it was set up to be convenient, like e.g., most
mailing list subscriptions:

	1. I send an email to foo at bar.com
	2. foo at bar.com replies with a request to confirm, in which they
	   politely explain that they have a spam problem, they're sorry
	   for the inconvenience, and would I just simply hit 'reply' to
	   this email to have my email address permanently whitelisted;
	   use some ID in the Subject line to make this smooth;
	3. I hit 'Reply' and 'Send'
	4. A real person (foo at bar.com) gets to read my original email, and
	   any subsequent email coming from my email address.

I don't know how this would look from a *client's* point of view, although
people who receive tons of spam should be sympathetic to your problem and
even think 'Hey, that's not a bad idea !' :)

Just my $0.02

Gabriel

     Gabriel L.  Somlo                   Assistant System Administrator
Computer Science Department
 Colorado State University               e-mail: somlo at cs.colostate.edu
  601 Howes St. 2nd Floor                 phone: +1 (970) 491-5305
  Fort Collins,  CO 80523