[NCLUG] A question about a web server and broadband.

Mike Loseke mike at verinet.com
Wed Feb 20 08:26:33 MST 2002

Thus spake bmc:

>   So here I am again asking more silly question but I simply have to =
> take advantage of this very broad knowledge base that is NCLUG.=20
>
> I use cable as my primary access at home. And if you have cable then you =
> know that they block ports, such as port 80 and 21 etc etc.=20
>
> My question is can I run a server on another port? I have a router that =
> will forward ports to a specific machine and I really only wnat to do =
> this as a test. I'm not asking for all the specifics of setting up a =
> server on a different port but I'd just like to know if it can be done =
> when in a situation like this.=20
>
> I also realize that I would probably have to type the port in to the =
> address ie www.mylinuxserver.com :8088 but with AT&T blocking 80 is it =
> possible?

 You can have a daemon (telnetd, httpd, whateverd) listen to pretty much
any port. Check that it isn't one already registered or in use by using
'netstat -a' and looking in /etc/services. Man pages available for both.

 The process of then connecting to that port with a client is different per
client (like "telnet host portnum") but generally pretty easy to figure
out.

 As to what the cable co is actually scanning and blocking, and how, I
couldn't say.

--
                  | "Once you've reduced living matter to bits, if you
   Mike Loseke    | will, and once you think about programming living
 mike at verinet.com | then that division doesn't exist anymore."