[NCLUG] ATT and servers.

Michael Dwyer mdwyer at sixthdimension.com
Wed Feb 20 13:29:44 MST 2002

Matt Pujol wrote:
> I've been on the ATT provided network (@home/attbi) for about 3 years now.
> They never, since I've been with them advocated putting up a server, as a
> matter of fact, the @home agreement specifically dis-allowed it and the
> attbi agreement made the language even stronger.  Registering you IP with
> dns.org is also against the rules.

I don't think I've been with them that long, but the printed AUP that
came with the welcome package seemed pretty specific about allowing one
to run servers.  The 'feeling' at the time seemed to be "Sure!  Use our
bandwidth!  Tell your friends!"  But the online copy quickly replaced
it.

The specific dis-allowal of using dynamic DNS methods really bothers
me.  I specifically asked about that rule in an e-mail I sent them when
the changeover was just starting.  They were quick to explain the need
for DHCP, but I only got the generic form letter back regarding the 'no
dynamic DNS' clause.  So maybe they know about my displeasure about it,
and I hope my argument was clear, but as far as I know, the policy
hasn't yet changed.

Funny, but I get this feeling of de'ja vu:
ttp://www.nclug.org/pipermail/nclug/2001-March/000972.html

> But, hey....I'm a marketing guy....rules are merely guidelines, made to be
> tested, right?

Silly rules, at least. :)