[NCLUG] A question about a web server and broadband.

J. Paul Reed preed at sigkill.com
Wed Feb 20 16:03:52 MST 2002

On Wed, 20 Feb 2002, Sean Roberts wrote:

> Is it the DHCP server that would ping you?
>
> I try to keep my firewall rules pretty tight and that includes not
> allowing anyone but a select couple of computers to ping me.  Should I
> open up ping to my DHCP server too?

It's not ICMP ping that is sent.

I should go read the RFC, but I was under the impression that the DHCP
client kept renewing the lease, and if the client failed to so within the
leasetime, then the server assumed it was expired... that is, the
responsibility was on the client's head, not the server's.

But, as with all things, I could be wrong.

Later,
Paul