[NCLUG] A question about a web server and broadband.

John L. Bass jbass at dmsd.com
Wed Feb 20 23:28:58 MST 2002

	for cryin' out loud, John, I'm not running a commercial site or a game
	server.  I have a family page and some piddling junk on a project server.

	geez

	Steve

If what you are doing is in full compliance with your ISP's usage guidelines, then
heck - go for it - but I would get a written wavier up front.

If on the otherhand it falls under the AT&T express policy regarding servers on
residential service plans:

	http://help.broadband.att.com/faq.jsp?content_id=416&category_id=34&lobid=1

	"AT&T Broadband does not allow servers to be connected to the cable modem.
	This means that no computer in a personal network can be used as a server."

That is pretty clear violation of the residential rate plan limitations. I do not
know what the new equivalent to @work is, or what the restrictions for that service
level are now ... but it used to be the value added service that removed that allowed
limited servers in some areas.

So I stand by:

    > It's not clear, that NCLUG should be a forum for planning how to cheat ISP's, or
    > even imply that is a noble goal.
    >
    > Just My two cents,
    > John

Discussion and conspiracy to violate an ISP's rate plans probably don't belong
in this forum.

There is no reason NCLUG should be directly involved, and liable for, purposely
violating any vendors rights should they decide to defend those rights and seek
recovery for such violations.

John Bass