[NCLUG] A question about a web server and broadband.

J. Paul Reed preed at sigkill.com
Wed Feb 20 23:57:23 MST 2002

On Wed, 20 Feb 2002, John L. Bass wrote:

> Discussion and conspiracy to violate an ISP's rate plans probably don't
> belong in this forum.

You're only going to get one message out of me, John, because it sounds
like you're just trolling...

Asking how to configure a server to run on a high port does not constitute
conspiracy to violate an ISP's AUP, and any ISP who tried to argue that in
court would get laughed out of the courtroom.

Instead of complaining about those of us who are responsible users of
bandwidth (which *may* include a small website), why don't you focus your
attention on people spreading around Nimda/Code Red because they're
stupidly running NT... or the people who send spam from their cable
modems... or the people who try to run Gnutella/Morpheous/Kazaa clients all
at the same time... I mean, there are an infinite number of situations you
should be more concerned with than users who simply want to post a few
things a low traffic website for a few friends to read/view.

As a side note, from your tone, I would assume you would defend
AT&T's/Qwest's/@home's/etc. practice of (falsely) advertising a bandwidth
rate with the intention of never providing anything near that rate, and
conning naive people like you into believing that it's a "user" problem
because they're too cheap to provide the necessary equipment to (in the
case of cable modems) segment the network in such a fashion to provide the
advertised service.

There *are* technical solutions to this problem that *don't* involve port
blocking... if the ISPs are too lazy to investigate and implement them,
that shouldn't be the fault of the customer; ignorant customers like you
who swear up and down by the AUP are part of the problem by allowing ISPs
to get away with this snowballing effect.

> There is no reason NCLUG should be directly involved, and liable for,
> purposely violating any vendors rights should they decide to defend those
> rights and seek recovery for such violations.

Well, at least you're covering your own ass in the event of a lawsuit
against NCLUG... now do please shuttup so the rest of us can talk about the
real (technical) issues associated with the initial question.

I'm done now... and don't bother responding, because I won't.

Later,
Paul