[NCLUG] A question about a web server and broadband.

Sean Reifschneider jafo-nclug at tummy.com
Thu Feb 21 15:42:19 MST 2002

On Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 01:38:13PM -0700, Michael Dwyer wrote:
>For what it is worth, the DHCP protocol allows you to hold your address,
>pretty much forever, simply by always returning a ping.  So long as you

My understanding is that they were going to be forcably expiring addresses.
So, while the DHCP RFCs encourage allocating the same IP to a host that has
used it before, that doesn't come into play here.

Of course, the annoying thing about this is that any connections you have
open when your IP changes will be trashed.  Even if they do it at 3am,
there are going to be people who get impacted.  I can't imagine them
actually doing this successfully, but that's what they were talking about
(again, as I understand it).

>Mind you, this kind of action is strictly against the AUP.  But I really
>wonder if AT&T is going to be successful in using DHCP to put n+m hosts

Well, they *DO* have 16m addresses to DHCP over...  If it gets really bad,
one can imagine them allocating IPs in the 10.* range and NATing them -- at
least if they can't allocate you a *REAL* IP address.  That would give
them, effectively unlimited IPs (by using 10.* in multiple locations, NATed
to a single real address, for example).

 Now let's get this thing on the hump, we've got some flying to do!
                 -- Major Kong, _Dr_Strangelove_