[NCLUG] Re: Backspace

Rich Young rich at republicoftech.com
Fri Feb 22 15:20:43 MST 2002

I've been fighting this for a while now.  ^H backspaces, but the backspace
key stubbornly refuses to do so.  When I type ^V backspace, it tells me
^[[3~
and when I try stty erase ^V backspace (which spits out the above characters)
I get an error indicating that these are not polite characters to feed stty.

showkey indicates that backspace is indeed delivering keycode 14, and
dumpkeys says that 14 = BackSpace (this last because I've edited
/usr/src/linux/drivers/char/defkeymap.map and used loadkeys -d to commit the
change.)

Does the fact that there's a defkeymap.c in the same directory mean anything?
 Issuing a loadkeys --mktable defkeymap.map > defkeymap.c (gotten from the
comments atop defkeymap.c) doesn't seem to do anything, so I'm guessing not.

Help much appreciated, as I'm going slowly batty fighting this small,
persistent probl,m.

--Rich