[NCLUG] Re: Backspace

Mike Loseke mike at verinet.com
Mon Feb 25 09:00:17 MST 2002

Thus spake Rich Young:

> > It looks like your keyboard sends a 'delete' keypress when you hit
> > backspace.  What do you get when you do  Ctl-V Delete ?
>
> If my understanding of these things is correct, it sends keycode 14 when I
> hit backspace.  This is then interpreted as a delete, rather than a
> backspace, by some interpreting software in the operating system.  The fact
> that showkey indicates a difference between the keys is to me a convincing
> argument that it's software, and thus changeable.
>
> John's email looks promising, in that he mentions a few things I haven't
> stumbled across on my own yet.  Perhaps it's in there somewhere -- I'll let
> y'all know when I find it.

 I've had this in my ~/.xinitrc for years - it might help:

xmodmap -e "keycode 22 = BackSpace"
xmodmap -e "keycode 107 = Delete"
xmodmap -e "keysym Caps_Lock ="

 Makes the Backspace key do a backspace, makes the delete key do a delete
and turns the caps lock key into a dead key. Very handy.

--
   Mike Loseke    | kernel, n.: A part of an operating system
 mike at verinet.com | that preserves the medieval traditions of