[NCLUG] surgery

jdewitt at mail.frii.com jdewitt at mail.frii.com
Wed Feb 27 18:08:19 MST 2002

I would suggest that you switch your login run level to text mode.
Then, you can startx, ctl-alt-bkspace, edit, repeat,
until it works - check out '/etc/inittab' and 'man init'

Alternately, you could use another machine on your network that
can ssh to the dual-headded machine.

JD

> At the suggestion (about a year ago) of someone from HP (have forgotten who
now) I finally
picked up a Matrox card (G400 32MB Dual-Head 4X AGP) to use in my HP Visualize
X550 - the
reason being that Linux support for Matrox was better than for the HP video
card. However,
I realize that I've never switched hardware (beyond SCSI devices) on a running
system
(yes, I'll turn it off - I mean I've never mucked with hw except memory or when
doing a
full os install). I've got RedHat 7.1. Besides XF86Config and XF86Config-4
(Xconfigurator), is there anything else I should be aware of? I'm assuming that
kudzu will
take care of the rest. Am I tripping?