[NCLUG] multi-monitors

Mike Loseke mike at verinet.com
Thu Feb 28 14:16:17 MST 2002

 With all this talk about dual-monitor setups I thought this would be a
neat place to describe my current setup (hey, it's cool). Basically it's 3
systems side-by-side but using the same keyboard/mouse to use all 3.

         /------------\  /------------\  /------------\
         |            |  |            |  |            |
         |   Solaris  |  |   Linux    |  |   Win2K    |
         |            |  |            |  |            |
         |            |  |            |  |            |
         \------------/  \------------/  \------------/
                          \|/ ____ \|/
                          "@'/ ,. \`@"
                          /_| \__/ |_\
                             \__U_/

 The keyboard and mouse I use are on the Linux machine which, for a wm, is
using fvwm2 and two 3x3 pagers for virtual desktops. 'x2x' is used to get
to the solaris display (make sure to allow access using xhost) and 'x2vnc'
to get to the win2k box (you need to run a vnc server on the windows side).
The 2 commands to do this are:

 $ x2x -from linux:0.0 -to solaris:0.0 -west &
 $ x2vnc win2k:0 -east

 I have to give the x2vnc command a password then background it but other
than that it works pretty much the same as x2x. The coolest thing about
this, aside from being able to pan across OS displays, is that the cut-paste
buffers work between them seamlessly. Very cool. About the only thing I
can see this lacking is that the screensavers are different on each, so
they just blank. You still have mice and keyboards hooked to all systems,
you just tuck them out of the way once you're logged in and running.

  http://gatekeeper.dec.com/pub/Digital/SRC/x2x/
  http://www.hubbe.net/~hubbe/x2vnc.html
  http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

--
   Mike Loseke    | A Buddhist monk walks up to a hotdog stand
 mike at verinet.com | and says:   "Make me one with everything."