[NCLUG] Public comments on Microsoft Anti-Trust Case Settlement requested

Mike Loseke mike at verinet.com
Fri Jan 11 15:11:21 MST 2002

Thus spake Eric Brunson:

> I'm totally against it.
>
> Firstly, the largest portion of the "penalty" is in licensing costs.
> How much is Microsoft really losing by "donating" these licenses?
> It's already been stated that these are under-privileged schools which
> probably couldn't afford to by computers and software on their own.
> Microsoft is simply getting increased market penetration with minimal
> loss of revenue.  I seem to remember also reading that support
> contracts for these schools would be negotiated and a discounted rate,
> i.e. not free.  Anything they would lose in licensing they're going to
> make up in support contracts.

 Yeah, to make it a *penalty* they should have to buy a bunch of Mac's
with software and support for those underpriveledged schools. Now that
would be a penalty and the kids (I'm assuming they are at the lower spectrum
of the grade scale here) would have a nice simple interface that wouldn't
get in the way of learning.

--
                  | If you hear a Southerner exclaim, "Hey, y'all,
   Mike Loseke    | watch this!" stay out of his way. These are
 mike at verinet.com | likely the last words he will ever say.