[NCLUG] Cheap NIC?

Michael Dwyer mdwyer at sixthdimension.com
Mon Jan 14 15:50:12 MST 2002

Rich Young wrote:

> Hey, folks-
>         I'm looking at a network card on Cyberguys (http://www.cyberguys.com; I'd
> give you a direct link, but I can't tell wheat from chaff in the URL; it's product #

I think the odds of it working are VERY good.  Especially since it is
10/100 and PCI.  That makes the driver choices pretty limited.  I
suspect that it is some form of Tulip (PNIC, Intel or DEC) or if it is
pretty recently, it might be a RealTek or VIA Rhine.  Either way,
drivers for all of these are pretty robust.

Check the returns policy, but I suspect that it will work, so long as
you can identify the chip (pull the stupid Novell YES! sticker off).

For about $5 more, you can get a NetGear branded Tulip card, though...
(FA-310TX, I think).

NetGear has some history of supporting Linux, too.  Their newer cards do
not work well with older kernels, but since you have already done the
Tulip upgrade thing, you are probably already set.  Even if you aren't
there is RedHat support on the Netgear install disk, I believe...