[NCLUG] Infrastructure changes (slightly OT)

Jamison Gulden jamison at realgo.com
Tue Jan 15 18:05:04 MST 2002

> For a T1, you have to pay mileage on the line.  A 0-mile T1 is around
> $250/month.  A T1 from Fort Collins to Greeley is around $750/month.  Then
> you have to get equipment for your end, and pay for the equipment your ISP
> puts on their end.  Monthly charges on a T1 line seem to usually run
around
> $1500/month -- some more, some less.  UUNet wants around $2500, while he
FC
> Coop seems to want $500 IIRC for their lower levels of service.

Actually, the NCIC's (Northern Colorado Internet Cooperative) bottom level
used to be $300/month. It recently changed to a variable rate formula that
looks something like ($fixed overhead cost)/(# of members) + ($bandwidth
costs)/(Sumation over all members(member * bandwidth tiers)). This currently
results in a monthly charge less than $300/month as the lowest level.

Supposedly you can get T1s from Qwest for special prices. We ordered one on
a contract that says $250/month for a T1 that used to cost about $450/month.
We just got the first bill and the bill and the contract we signed don't
agree. Who knows what price we will end up having to pay.

Jamie