[NCLUG] wierd problem

shaggydan dmiles at holly.ColoState.EDU
Wed Jan 16 11:07:36 MST 2002

I have a *really* strange problem with my linux box that I was hoping
somebody could help me with.

I can't get www.sun.com to come into my computer. I know it's up because I
can ssh into a friend's computer and use lynx to get it but my system
won't do it. The other oddity is that it's only the sun website... I can
even get java.sun.com but not sun.com...

tcpdump shows packets going *to* sun but nothing comming back. This is the
output from `tcpdump tcp > file`:

09:23:10.226004 12-252-9-101.client.attbi.com.35965 > www.sun.com.www:
09:23:13.219684 12-252-9-101.client.attbi.com.35965 > www.sun.com.www:
09:23:19.219691 12-252-9-101.client.attbi.com.35965 > www.sun.com.www:
09:23:31.219689 12-252-9-101.client.attbi.com.35965 > www.sun.com.www:

Where 12.252.9.101=me and www.sun.com=sun

There was more but it looked like garbage to me (possibly the contents of
the packets, I'm not sure) and it didn't fit on a line in pine so I cut
it.

However, that "more" did not include any responce from sun whatsoever. I
don't have a tcpdump log file from my friend's computer because tcpdump
isn't really a good util to use over a network, you get feedback.

Does anybody have *any* clue what's going on?

Is my system filtering those packets for some reason? Has sun blocked my
IP or something?

Most men do not sing, most men cannot sing, most men will not stay where
others are singing if it be continued more than two hours. Note that.
						--Mark Twain