[NCLUG] video

Aaron D. Johnson adj at ccltd.com
Thu Jan 17 17:29:51 MST 2002

William Dan Terry writes:
> Any suggestions for video player apps? I want to play mpeg, qt and
> mov on my Linux box. I've got Gnome on X. I've been looking
> around. Some of the options that sound good (at linux.org and
> gnome.org) don't have working links. So I thought I'd get
> suggestions. Funny thing is that I can play mpegs on my ipaq running
> linux (not X so I can't use the same app), but am not finding
> obvious desktop options.

mplayer.  Though they strongly discourage binary distrubution at this
point.  So finding RPMs or .debs isn't necessarily easy.  And the
authors aren't necessarily helpful.  And the docs are best classified
as sucky.  Also, the GUI interface is pretty non-functional last time
I tried it.  But if you have a strong need to play that video, mplayer
is your best bet.  It has a wedge for using Win* DLL codecs, so most
formats you can play on Windows can be played on Linux if you're
willing to install the proprietary codecs.  Oh, it can build a .deb
right out of the source tree, which is nice for us Debian-using folk.
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/

- Aaron