[NCLUG] cant log in - run x anymore!!

Person Who Asked To Have Her Name Removed From The Internet ADDRESS_REMOVED_BY_REQUEST
Fri Jan 18 18:03:29 MST 2002

hi!
help!

When I try to log into Debian via Gnome desktop manager,
i enter username, and password, and it starts to
try to run x, but then fails and returns me to login screen!
I can alt-f2 and log in as root and look around,
but dont know what problem is...
however, last night I was trying to add a partition
so I went into cfdisk and added 5 gigs to end of drive
and edited /etc/mtab to include identical entry with
/dev/hda10 set to /music
sugguestions?
thanks
zil