[NCLUG] Linux on Sun Hardware

Jim Wildman jim at rossberry.com
Wed Jan 23 09:55:03 MST 2002

No.  Some switching supplies won't pull anything (except fan) until
they have a load.  They might have a spike, but I've never seen one
pull full load when the load does not exist.  (visions of opamps,
capacitors, resistors, and transistors dance in my head).  I had
to breadboard a +/- 15V current limited switching power supply during
an EET lab.

Actually, I've never seen a server pull half of it's faceplate amps.
Usually because it is designed with a particular set of drives in mind.
By the time I see them, they have more efficient drives...

Jim Wildman, CISSP                                      jim at rossberry.com
817-308-3868                                     http://www.rossberry.com