[NCLUG] KRUD 7.2 Boot Failure

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Thu Jan 24 15:47:31 MST 2002

Scott> Good day, Background: I was running RedHat 7.1 on a 100 Mhz
Scott> Pentium-S.  I tried upgrading to 7.2 by installing packages I
Scott> downloaded from RedHat.  When I rebooted after updating
Scott> packages, my system gets to LI and locks up.

sounds like you upgraded the kernel rpms and lilo can no longer
find the old kernel. :(

Scott> I received the most recent version of KRUD and created a boot
Scott> disk using rawrite and boot.img.  The disk will boot the system
Scott> to the options screen.  When I select an option (i.e. linux
Scott> rescue) I receive the following:

Scott> Loading initrd.img....  Boot failed: please change disks and
Scott> press a key to continue.

Scott> This error message doesn't mean much to me.

Scott> Could anybody tell me what it means and how I might remedy my
Scott> boot problem?

Sounds like a bad floppy.

Try another one...

I have sometimes had to try about 10 from a new box before getting a
good one. Floppys just suck. ;(

Once you get it to boot you should be able to do:

/mnt/sysimage/sbin/lilo -r /mnt/sysimage

and hopefully it will then boot. You might need to modify your
/mnt/sysimage/etc/lilo.conf file for the kernel you have in /boot.

kevin
--
Kevin Fenzi
MTS, tummy.com, ltd.