[NCLUG] Help with contacting the outside world

Steve Roths sroths1 at attbi.com
Sat Jan 26 16:16:10 MST 2002

Hello all out there.  I live in Ft Collins and am glad to find a local LUG.  I have been a slow convert to the OS of choice but am making inroads.

I have a Linux box that I am using for school projects, and am having some configuration problems that I hope someone can help with.

The system is a PIII that I want configured as a database server.  I started with RedHat7 and made several attempts to install Oracle 9i on it.  I found lots of online stuff about Oracle 8i on RedHat6 but there seems to be little of encouragement out there for the new OS combo.  I was able to get Apache up and running on the RedHat7 and maintained a website with it for a week or so.  I also got the Sambar server to connect with my home network.

Failing to get the database to install and run on RH7, I reformatted the hard disk and started over from scratch with RedHat6.

I got the OS installed with all the bells and whistles and have a functioning Oracle 8i deeby.  However, I cannot get any Internet access.  That is where I need the help.

I can connect with my (ugh!) Windows machines and with my router, but any attempt to ping an internet server gets a 'cannot connect with network' error.

I haven't upgraded the Netscape and there's no Mozilla in this package, but not even a simple ping will work.  I have tried setting a gateway in Linuxconf for either the router (192.168.0.0) or my at&t provider's gateway without any luck.  The DNS settings appear different than the ones with the later linuxconf interface.  I did name attbi.com as the domain and put the two att server options in their places.

I feel I am missing something simple and fundamental here.  Any idea where I can make an adjustment?  I am not sure about the linuxconf GUI, it fails and seems error prone.  Any config files that I can change manually?  (my linuxconf broke when I tried to configure sambar, some option panes won't open any more after 'exiting abnormally'.  The network setting panes still open, though).

Thanks for any helpful suggestions.  I'm going to try and come to the meeting next week.

Later,
Steve