[NCLUG] KRUD (2002-01-01) and MegaRAID Problems

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Mon Jan 28 13:12:58 MST 2002

Ray> [Warning Linux Neophyte ahead!]  I've got an HP Netserver LPr
Ray> with the NetRAID 1Si (MegaRAID 466) that we installed the
Ray> 07-01-2001 (RH7.1) KRUD build on.  I'd like to put the more
Ray> recent 7.2 build on, but none of the KRUD builds of 7.2 we have
Ray> tried will recognized the disk.  (Disk, meaning LD0 from the
Ray> NetRAID controller.)  It appears that the MegaRAID driver is not
Ray> in the installer kernel. I've tried loading a driver from HP
Ray> (v1.15 8-28-01 ) that specifically references RH 7.1.  The driver
Ray> appears to load, but no disks are recognized, and I'm no better
Ray> off than I was without the driver disk.

Ray> I need answers to one or more of these questions:

Ray>    1. What incantation is required to get the 7.2 KRUD installer
Ray> to see the MegaRAID controller and disk

humm... it should detect it fine.
According to:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.2-Manual/ref-guide/s1-modules-scsi.html

it should use the megaraid module and be supported and not need any
other parameters. ;(

You could try booting the 7.2 with 'linux expert' and epecifically
make it load the megaraid module.

You can also go to the vty on alt-f4 and alt-f5 and see if it has any
error messages.

Finally, you can try the updated boot image at:
https://www.redhat.com/support/errata/RHBA-2002-016.html

it doesn't mention the megaraid as being fixed, but it might be...
that will of course be in the next KRUD version if you want to wait.

Ray> 2. Is there a better way
Ray> to to upgrade to 7.2 than by booting from the CD and performing
Ray> an upgrade that will be able to see the MegaRAID hosted disk?

not really. You can update packages, but doing that between release
versions is likely to get your machine confused or otherwise subtly
messed up.

Ray> Many thanks,

kevin
--