[NCLUG] New linux server

J. Paul Reed preed at sigkill.com
Wed Jan 30 16:06:48 MST 2002

On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Chris Funk wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Just joined the list so it's time for my first question.
>
> I'm replacing an NT server running IMS (mail server) with a linux box.  The
> linux machine will be a mail, print, fax, gateway server.  (only way I could
> get the boss to agree to the switch was showing him it would replace 3 other
> machines.)
>
> On to the question.  Any suggestions on Mail/IMAP/POP servers?  I've
> researched Qmail and Postfix   with various combinations of IMAP/pop
> servers.  I'm not a linux guru so ease of setup/admin is an issue.   I

I highly recommend Postfix.

It's a secure sendmail replacement, and doesn't have the licensing-, setup-,
attitude-, and cooperation (or lack thereof) issues that Qmail does.

It also lacks that icky m4 sendmail format.

As for POP3/IMAP, Courier has a packaged IMAP/POP3 solution, but it uses
Maildir (but that's ok, because Postfix can do Maildir). Qpopper is also a
popular POP3 solution.

I'm personally using neither, but that's because I had a weird virtual
domain setup; we use Courier at work, and it's very nice. Relatively easy
setup, and I like that the POP/IMAP servers are bundled together.

We use SquirrelMail for webmail stuff... that seems to work nicely, if
you're into that whole sort of thing, and it was easy to setup.

Do NOT use UW's IMAP server.

And while we're on it, don't use wu-ftpd or sendmail.

tips from the trenches,
Paul