[NCLUG] New linux server

J. Paul Reed preed at sigkill.com
Thu Jan 31 18:38:55 MST 2002

On Thu, 31 Jan 2002, Sean Reifschneider wrote:

> We sell support for it because we use it, like it, and feel confident
> recommending it to people who want a complete mail system.  If part of
> your decision to use a mail server is wether it's author is considered a
> nice guy by other people on the net, you may not want to use it.

That is definitely part of my decision (because, in a way, it speaks to the
type of community that tends to surround the software), but my real
decision for not choosing Qmail is explained IN DETAIL in those two other
posts that I referenced, and has nothing to do with DJB's personality.

Conveniently, you didn't address any of *those* concerns.

> Nobody is forcing us to use and/or support Qmail -- we do it because it's
> a fine piece of software which is secure, can handle a quarter of a
> million messages per hour on a reasonable computer if set up properly,
> and we know it inside out...

There are other mail systems that will handle that much mail (arguably
more), and you don't have to put up with the crappiness that is Qmail.

> We also sell Linux support...  So, are you saying that we shouldn't be
> giving advice about Linux here because it's "tainted"?

Linus is way more likable than DJB is, first of all.

I was going to respond to the statement above, but the more I reread it,
the more sense it doesn't make.

I simply said that one should expect that you would espouse the virtues of
Qmail because you sell support for it.