[NCLUG] Oracle system help

Steve Roths sroths1 at attbi.com
Thu Jan 31 23:15:28 MST 2002

I'm a student with an oracle development emphasis in Ft Collins.  I want to base my graduation project on a portal platform and have not had luck with the stability of the school's network.  Student DBA's, underpowerd system, too many users - all students.  It crashed often.

I had the thought to set up my own development platform and found that A) oracle runs better on Linux than NT, B) Linux is way more economical for me than NT, C) Linux has a better stability reputation than NT.

I'll go with B, Alex, and keep my hundreds of dollars away from Uncle Bill.  Now, I am working through the OS learning curve (thank's again, Charles, for the gateway help).

If anyone has some experience with Oracle 8i and RedHat, I'd like some help.

Right now, I seem to have lost eth0 altogether.  I found this out while tinkering with the oracle networking configs.  I couldn't connect with 192.168.0.100 any more.  It had been working up until this morning, and I had a web site up for several days with Apache. (not the oracle Apache, but I did enable that this morning, also, just couldn't connect with it)

ifconfig returns only for 127.0.0.1

ping 192.168.0.100 returns 'Network is unreachable'

linuxconf and the gnome control-panel settings are the same as when the connection was working, but I'm getting 'Delaying eth0 initialization' errors at reboot and when I 'activate' the interface with control-panel.

My NIC is a RealTek RTL-8029.

I'm really not a network or database admin expert, I just want to write applications.  What should I check next to get this NIC back on line?

Steve

...no witty tag-line as of yet...