[NCLUG] how to 'ping' a MAC address ?

Sean Reifschneider jafo-nclug at tummy.com
Thu Jul 4 16:24:22 MDT 2002

On Thu, Jul 04, 2002 at 12:44:10AM -0600, John L. Bass wrote:
>Use arp to assign a temporary address on other machines for that mac.
>
>	#  arp -s 192.168.0.66 08:00:09:57:7D:B1

Yeah, but usually the machine would just ignore those packets because when
it receives them it realizes that it's not directed at it's regular IP
address.  There are some systems I've seen, mostly networking gear, that
will respond to any IP it sees, as long as it's got it's MAC address.  This
is nice for initial config if you don't have DHCP because you can use the
arp trick above and it'll respond.  Linux boxes won't do that though.

 Canadian phone sex: What kind of hockey jersey are you wearing?