[NCLUG] how to 'ping' a MAC address ?

John L. Bass jbass at dmsd.com
Thu Jul 4 16:35:51 MDT 2002

	On Thu, Jul 04, 2002 at 12:44:10AM -0600, John L. Bass wrote:
	>Use arp to assign a temporary address on other machines for that mac.
	>
	>	#  arp -s 192.168.0.66 08:00:09:57:7D:B1

	Yeah, but usually the machine would just ignore those packets because when
	it receives them it realizes that it's not directed at it's regular IP
	address.

Doesn't matter, from the original post he just needed a way to trace packets "TO"
the machine with a given MAC address via the switch activity lights.

John

	From: Gabriel L Somlo <somlo at CS.ColoState.EDU>
	Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 00:09:59 -0600 (MDT)

	The scenario in which this would be useful: two machines on the same
	network come up with the same IP address by accident. I don't know
	which one of a few hundred machines the impostor really is, but I have
	a tree of switches and if I could send some packets to the impostor's MAC
	I could follow the blinkenlights on the switches and find out which port
	it's attached to...

	So, how would you go about firing off a burst of packets directed at a
	MAC rather than at an IP ?