[NCLUG] Help needed getting networking running in Debian

Jake Edge jake at edge2.net
Thu Jul 11 08:39:16 MDT 2002

On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 11:18:28PM -0600, Sivea Key wrote:

> All the boxes are set to static addresses (Box 1 192.168.1.115, Box 2
> 192.168.1.116 and Box 3 192.168.1.114). And I wrote lines for each Debian
> host and the router in /etc/hosts. All of the Mac/Wintel machines can fully
> use the cable internet access via the Linksys router AND 2 of the Debian
> boxes were running Lynx and a distributed application before I shut them
> down and rebooted (my friend had tinkered with them after install to get
> them running). No problem pinging localhost on Box 2 or Box 1, BTW.
>
> ****OOPS!!! I just uncovered a hub problem. Changed cables for a more direct
> route and, voila, Box 2 is running. That hub is not cooperating! Will bypass
> it for now.

Ok, that makes sense as everything on box 2 looked fine ...

> > Is the NIC in Box 3 a 3c509?  Does box2 have 3c509 listed in lsmod?
>
> Box 3 has a Netgear FA310TX and a completely different (and more modern)
  ^^^^^
  I assume you mean box 1 as you say box 3 has a 3c509 further down ...

> hardware configuration. lsmod on Box 2 lists 3c509 used by 1. Okay Box 2 is
> working!! Box 3, which is very similar in hardware config to Box 2 does not
> list any enet module! Now what? Both Box 2 and 3 have ISA 3c509 nics.

So, box 3 should have 3c509 listed when you do an lsmod ... you may want to
check /var/log/messages and see if there is a problem when it loads ... you
may also want to do 'rmmod 3c509' and then 'insmod 3c509' and see if there
are any messages (to the console or /var/log/messages) ...

jake

--
Jake Edge - Stellar Software Consulting, LLC - www.stellarsc.com
jake at edge2.net - jake at stellarsc.com