[NCLUG] Help needed getting networking running in Debian

Jake Edge jake at edge2.net
Thu Jul 11 11:32:44 MDT 2002

On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 10:52:20AM -0600, Sivea Key wrote:

> Yes, of course I do. Guess it was getting too late at night. Actually,
> thanks to your great advice, I have 2 machines, Box 2 and 3, working in both
> DHCP and static modes. Simply switch between versions of /etc/hosts and
> /etc/network/interfaces depending upon what I need. Until I work out DNS on
> Debian, I'll probably use static.

Excellent!

> So, on to box 1, with the FA310TX. It has a few problems, among which is
> that I haven't managed to get xfree86 configured right yet for the Apple 20
> multisync monitor. Anyway, lsmod shows Tulip but 0 used. And /etc/modules
> has Tulip listed. That seems like a clue. What should I try?

I would check www.scyld.com and follow the links for network drivers as
there are some excellent diagnostic programs there, as I remember some
are specifically for Tulip based cards ... it could be as simple as a
conflict (irq or address or somesuch) with some other card ... anytime
I have had a problem with a Tulip based card, info and/or programs at that
site have helped me figure it out ...

As far as X config goes, it is a black art (at best) imho ... for me it
takes lots of iterations and lots of google searching, but i can usually
get them going ... perhaps someone else on the list has some suggestions ...

jake

--
Jake Edge - Stellar Software Consulting, LLC - www.stellarsc.com
jake at edge2.net - jake at stellarsc.com