[NCLUG] New 80GB maxtor won't fdisk...

Sean Reifschneider jafo-nclug at tummy.com
Tue Jul 16 17:34:08 MDT 2002

On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 03:41:51PM -0600, C. Michael Crosiar wrote:
>bootup Linux says it recognizes the drive on hdc, which is correct. But when
>I go to fdisk the drive I get the message "Unable to open /dev/hdc". I

I'd bet you used to have a CD burner in there on /dev/hdc.  Check your boot
file (/etc/lilo.conf or /boot/grub/grub.conf) and look for "hdc=ide-scsi".
You probably want to remove that, otherwise you'll need to look for the
drive on /dev/sd*.

 Total strangers need love, too; and I'm stranger than most.