[NCLUG] NCLUG Meeting Minutes

marciot marciot at holly.colostate.edu
Wed Jul 17 11:06:13 MDT 2002

>===== Original Message From nclug at nclug.org =====
>On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 10:39:10AM -0600, marciot wrote:

>There's nothing strange about this.  HP holds the copyright to Judy.
>Putting something under the (L)GPL does not mean you give up your
>copyright as the creator of a work.

I'm not saying that. I'm just wondering what happens if someone
takes someone else's code (illegally) and puts a LGPL on it?
Unfortunately, the LGPL does not carry a digital signature, so
anyone with access to "vi" can doctor code to make it appear to
be LGPLed.

So, I fully understand HP *could* put their code under the LGPL
and release it, and still hold the copyright, but my question
is, how do we know whether they actually did so, sort of
getting on the phone and calling up Mr. Packard and Mr. Hewlett
and having them write out a release form penned in their own
blood?

Marcio Luis Teixeira