[NCLUG] Judy info, for the curious

marciot marciot at holly.colostate.edu
Wed Jul 17 17:50:11 MDT 2002

For the curious, I've found out more information that pertains
to Judy (thought not directly):

   http://users.info.unicaen.fr/~clement/SODA/all1.html
   http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~lloyd/tildeAlgDS/Tree/Trie.html
   http://www.cs.ucsb.edu/~acha/publications/soda98-submitted.html

This is just a sampling. The key was in HP's FAQ, where they write
"Judy is a self-adapting hybrid digital tree (also known as a trie)."
You'll find very little on the web if you search for "Judy", but a lot
of information if you search for "trie."

It's starting to look like HP didn't really invent this, but rather
put together a really nice implementation and API for it. I don't see
why someone couldn't put together something like it for Linux, without
even having to look at HP's code.

The white paper writes that "patents pending on the Judy Technology."
Makes me wonder how much this patent will cover and whether this will
make it difficult to write a adaptive-trie implementation without
infringing on their patents.

Marcio Luis Teixeira