[NCLUG] make problem

Jake Edge jake at edge2.net
Sat Jun 1 08:39:39 MDT 2002

On Sat, Jun 01, 2002 at 06:59:20AM -0600, Idris S Hamid wrote:
> # make
> gcc  -g -O2  -o autotrace  atou.o main.o getopt.o getopt1.o libautotrace.a
> -L/usr/lib -L/usr/lib -L/usr/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/lib -lMagick -llcms
> -lfreetype -lXext -lXt -lSM -lICE -lX11 -lz -lpthread -lm -lpng -lz -lm
> -lming -lm -lm
> /usr/i486-suse-linux/bin/ld: cannot find -lXext
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make: *** [autotrace] Error 1
>
> The first time I ran make it said, " cannot find -lfreetype". I then installed
> the freetype libraries. Now i don't know what I'm missing. I am  not a
> programmer so maybe the answer is staring me in the face and I don't see it.
> My only guess is that there is a library called Xext somewhere that I need to
> install. I could not find it an any of the 8 Suse disks or at rpmfind.net.

It is looking for a libXext.so or libXext.a and can't find it ... on my
Redhat 7.2 box it is in /usr/X11R6/lib ... if you do a search for 'libXext'
on google (or rpmfind) you should be able to track it down ...

in case you don't have some of the other libraries listed, when there is a
'-lxxxx' in the link line, it will be looking for libxxxx in the 'usual'
places (/lib and /usr/lib I think) as well as any directories you have
listed as -L switches (btw, I don't think you need /usr/lib listed 4
times with -L) ...

hope that helps ...

jake