[NCLUG] X question

Gabriel L Somlo somlo at CS.ColoState.EDU
Sun Jun 9 11:27:29 MDT 2002

Sounds like you're trying to start X with the wrong resolution,
refresh rate, or color depth (or several of the above at once:) )

Make sure that the monitor HorizSync and VertRefresh don't exceed what
your real monitor is capable of
In your section "Screen", set the default depth to 8 and add a subsection
Display that has depth 8, and a modes line which also includes "640x480"

If this works, try working your way up from there, by increasing the
resolution and color depth as high as it will allow you to...

If you're using RedHat, running Xconfigurator should be likely to
do all this for you...

Hope this helps,

Gabriel

     Gabriel L.  Somlo                   Assistant System Administrator
Computer Science Department
 Colorado State University               e-mail: somlo at cs.colostate.edu
  601 Howes St. 2nd Floor                 phone: +1 (970) 491-5305
  Fort Collins,  CO 80523