[NCLUG] X question

Sean Reifschneider jafo-nclug at tummy.com
Sun Jun 9 12:13:11 MDT 2002

On Sun, Jun 09, 2002 at 11:27:29AM -0600, Gabriel L Somlo wrote:
>Sounds like you're trying to start X with the wrong resolution,
>refresh rate, or color depth (or several of the above at once:) )

If it were just a monitor setting issue, it would usually return to normal
once you did an C-A-BS or C-A-F1...  Red lines or other garbage on the
screen, combined with not clearing after shutting down X usually indicates
a problem with the X driver...

Make sure you're using the right driver for the video card.  Look for
options for the X server which may cause it to behave a little differently
(often "NoAccel" will make badly behaving drivers work, though MUCH slower).

Check for an updated driver for your video card.

I had some of these sorts of problems with my last laptop.  The driver for
the card in it just wasn't there...  After a few months and no real
progress, I finally just dumped that laptop and got one that was much
better supported.

 I didn't spend 6 years in evil medical school to be called *MISTER* Evil!
                 -- Dr. Evil, _Austin_Powers:_International_Man_of_Mystery_