[NCLUG] Mouse Sticks to Widgets After Upgrade to RH 7.3

Mike Loseke mike at verinet.com
Tue Jun 11 09:34:19 MDT 2002

Thus spake Marcio Luis Teixeira:

> On Monday 10 June 2002 08:58 am, Mike Loseke wrote:
>
> > CPU states:  0.7% user,  1.9% system,  0.0% nice, 97.2% idle
>
> Mem:    94320K av,   87360K used,    6960K free
> Swap:  265032K av,   42188K used,  222844K free
>
> So, memory isn't much of an issue here. I've sort of found out that KDE isn't
> as slow as I initially thought -- it's mostly Konqueror that's slow. When the
> system is idle the CPU line in "top" reads:

 Beware konqueror - it grows like a weed. I've had it up in size over
700MB. Restart it frequently. But 90MB RAM is pretty light for running X.

> However, when I open Konqueror to a page full of links and wiggle my mouse
> over the links, it jumps to as much as 50.0% user. Mozilla doesn't fair much
> better, bringing the load up to 66.0%. One thing I've noticed is that
> Konqueror has a lot of little frills when you mouse over a link, such as
> automatically underlining links it, changing the cursor, or showing the URL
> on the status bar. I've managed to get somewhat better response by turning
> off as many of these as possible.

 I haven't tried 7.3 or KDE 3.0 yet, so I'm not hip to newer konqueror
features. I've not had it hitch within the browser itself but when
konqueror gets huge I swap alot when moving between virtual windows (in
fvwm) which is understandable. X can get large too, mine's usually around
130MB. RAM good. :-)

 I do see loads driven up by konqueror from animated gifs though, I
frequently right-click-stop-animations to stop this.

> Anyhow, the only other thing I'm suspicious about is graphics. I have an "ATI
> 3D Rage Pro AGP 1X/2X" card in the machine, but I'm not sure if it is running
> in accelerated mode. XConfigurator says that the "X Server" for this is
> "XF86_Mach64", but when I do a "top", all I see is "X" -- is this a problem?
> Should "XF86_Mach64" be running instead? Is there any program under Linux
> that lets me check whether indeed accelerated video is active?

 X is most likely a symlink to 'Xwrapper' which should be starting the
correct driver binary. You can verify all the server info in
/var/log/XFree86.0.log.

--
                  | All I know is, I'm gonna be so hung over on Jan. 1,
   Mike Loseke    | 2000, I'm not even gonna give a shit if the rivers
 mike at verinet.com | run red with blood.