[NCLUG] Re: NCLUG digest, Vol 1 #623 - 15 msgs

Scott Kleihege scottkly at frii.com
Wed Jun 12 05:12:33 MDT 2002

Daniel,

Be sure to get a DSL Modem/Router that supports DMT (Qwest no longer
installs CAP lines) and that it supports the correct mode, i.e. bridging
- acts just like a bridge instead of a router, ppp - uses NAT internally
and either DHCP or a static IP on the WAN side; I understand that some
DSL modems cost more for ppp mode than bridging, not Cisco though.

Pricewatch doesn't show any DSL Modems (under Networking other) for less
than $49.  You may want to call or visit Office Depot and check their
prices on a DSL Router too.  I haven't had any personal experience with
Linksys routers, but other Linksys products I've purchased seem to work
well.  Except my PCMCIA network card doesn't want to work with FreeBSD,
SuSE, sure, but not FreeBSD, grrr.

Scott