[NCLUG] ISDN hardware and configuration

Jake Edge jake at edge2.net
Fri Jun 14 21:40:26 MDT 2002

On Fri, Jun 14, 2002 at 08:28:17PM -0600, dobbster wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I've never touched ISDN in my life, and I know virtually nothing about
> it.  Apparently I have to learn, fast.  Do any of you have suggestions
> for cheap, reliable hardware?  We were thinking of just buying
> something from eBay.

Well, I just got ISDN for my house here in Berthoud (after trying for
*way* too long to get wireless access from Wi-com to work, but that's
another story) and got it up and working very easily.  I looked into
various options and for me the cheapest was to use Qwest as an ISP
($29.95/month always on 128K + $14.95/month 8-( for 5 static IPs +
the ISDN charges which, for me were $110/month as they have to bring
the ISDN from loveland and I pay by the mile (I think)).

I bought a new 3com Office Connect 3C892 for about $300 as I didn't want
to wait for an auction to end on ebay ...

> Also, can I get by setting everything up just by reading the HOWTO?
> (I haven't read it yet.)

I didn't even read a HOWTO, but I know quite a bit about networking ...
it was all pretty easy to setup and has been working beautifully for
a week now ...

> I believe that this will be done through Qwest and FRII, 128/128.
> It's the only upgrade option available in the location we're going to
> be setting up at.  Right now, there are four computers on an IP
> masqueraded network running through a modem that won't go above 33kbps
> as a result of poor semi-rural phone lines.  It's a bit slow. :-)

My computers sit behind my firewall box and I really only use 1 of the
IP addresses (ok, two if you count the internal interface on the 3com
box) that I got assigned ...

further details (configuration, etc.) available if you need 'em ...

jake